12. TRAINING EVALUATION
Updated June 2022 by Lara Crystal-Ornelas MD, Vanessa Ramirez MD, Aisha Wagner MD
Evaluation and feedback are among the most important tools in effective learning. Programs should strive to provide a culture in which feedback is an integral part of the learning process for both trainees and trainers.
The following instruments, developed for use with this Training Curriculum, are based on recommendations of the Society for Teachers in Family Medicine, Advanced Practice Clinician training programs, and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) (Myerholtz 2019, Levi, 2018, ACGME 2022). They include specialty competencies for primary care clinicians providing early abortion care, regardless of setting. They include essential knowledge, behaviors, and skills that primary care clinicians should be able to demonstrate upon application for practice in abortion care and the prevention of unintended pregnancy. These instruments are designed to assist in the evaluation of participants, faculty, staff, and the overall rotation. All forms may be used or adapted for the professional training program or high-volume training setting. These and various alternative evaluation forms can be downloaded separately at either TEACH or RHEDI.
- Skills and Experience Inventory: To assess experience prior to the rotation
- Trainee Agreement and Consent Form: To consent to training
- Procedure Log: To record all trainee procedural experience.
- Daily 2-way Evaluation Card: Designed for trainee and faculty to evaluate progress on a daily basis
- Observed Performance Assessment: For faculty to evaluate trainee rotation
- Core Competencies for First Trimester Aspiration Abortion by Primary Care Clinicians: Entry-level specialty competencies for providing early abortion care, regardless of setting
- Training Program Evaluation: For trainees to review the overall training program
- Trainee Feedback Form by Clinic Staff: For training site staff to review the trainee’s performance, with regards to patient care and professionalism
- Patient Clinic Services Satisfaction Survey: A patient satisfaction survey to use in training sites
For Advanced Skills evaluation, this section includes:
- Early Pregnancy Ultrasound Skills Evaluation: A competency evaluation for early pregnancy ultrasound
- New Trainer Skills Evaluation: A competency evaluation for new trainer