Want to create or adapt books like this? Learn more about how Pressbooks supports open publishing practices.
Book Contents Navigation
Foreword: All Roads Lead to Jackson
1. Build and Fight: The Program and Strategy of Cooperation Jackson
2. Toward Economic Democracy, Labor Self-management and Self-determination
Kali Akuno & Ajamu Nangwaya
3. The New Southern Strategy: The Politics of Self-determination in the South
4. The Jackson-Kush Plan: The Struggle for Black Self-determination and Economic Democracy
5. People's Assembly Overview: The Jackson People's Assembly Model
Kali Akuno for the New Afrikan People’s Organization and the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement
6. The Jackson Rising Statement: Building the City of the Future Today
Kali Akuno for the Mayoral Administration of Chokwe Lumumba
7. Seek Ye First the Worker Self-management Kingdom: Toward the Solidarity Economy in Jackson, MS
8. Free the Land: An Interview with Chokwe Lumumba
9. Jackson Rising: An Electoral Battle Unleashes a Merger of Black Power, the Solidarity Economy and Wider Democracy
10. Jackson Rising: Black Millionaires Won’t Lift Us Up, But Cooperation and the Solidarity Economy Will
Bruce A Dixon
11. Why the Left Should Look to Jackson, Mississippi
12. The Jackson-Kush Plan: The Struggle for Land and Housing
13. The City as Liberated Zone: The Promise of Jackson’s People’s Assemblies
14. A Long and Strong History with Southern Roots
Jessica Gordon Nembhard
15. The Challenge of Building Urban Cooperatives in the South
Elandria Williams and Jazmine Walker
16. Coming Full Circle: The Intersection of Gender Justice and the Solidarity Economy
Sacajawea ('Saki') Hall interviewed by Thandisizwe Chimurenga
17. After Death of Radical Mayor, Mississippi’s Capital Wrestles with his Economic Vision
18. The Jackson Just Transition Plan: A Vision to Make Jackson a 'Sustainable City'
19. A Green Utopia in Mississippi?
20. Casting Shadows: Chokwe Lumumba and the Struggle for Racial Justice and Economic Democracy in Jackson, Mississippi
21. The Socialist Experiment: A New-Society Vision in Jackson, Mississippi
22. The Socialist Experiment: A New-Society Vision in Jackson, Mississippi
23. Home Isn’t Always Where the Hatred Is: There is Hope in Mississippi
24. Resist and Fight!
About the Contributors
Additional Readings and Documentation
Jackson Rising Copyright © 2017 by Cooperation Jackson. All Rights Reserved.