Want to create or adapt books like this? Learn more about how Pressbooks supports open publishing practices.
Book Contents Navigation
1. What is Poetry? When Is a Poem?
2. How to Read a Poem (& Maybe Fall in Love with Poetry)
3. Poetry's Poetry Period
4. Poetic Language
5. Poetry as Conversation
6. Poetry as Meditation on Poetry
7. The Technical Language of Poetry
8. Poetic Form: Open and Closed
9. The Sonnet, History and Forms
10. Some Other Forms: ode, ballad, elegy, epic, dramatic monologue, villanelle, sestina
11. Woman (and Power) and Poetry
12. Sixteenth and Seventeenth Century Poetry
Alan Lindsay, PhD
13. The Age of Reason
14. The Romantic Era
15. Modernism and After, the Twentieth Century
A Complete Online Course
This is where you can add appendices or other back matter.
An Introduction to Poetry by Alan Lindsay and Candace Bergstrom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.