As with any marginalized group, it is essential to seek out information pertaining specifically to the identities you are interested in. That said, there is plenty of content on equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice that is valuable when learning about trans and gender diverse inclusion. The resources on this page are of that type, as well as some that center queer identities in particular.
Note that one reason for this section is that essentially no content currently exists that is specifically centered on trans and gender diverse inclusion and OER, which means that the materials below are the most relevant content available at the time of writing (though we hope this changes in future).
- Changing our (Dis)Course: A Distinctive Social Justice Aligned Definition of Open Education: An essential article about framing open education within the principles of redistributive, recognitive, and representational justice.
- Using OER to Build More Inclusive Materials: A webinar on using the customizability of OER to increase information about and content by underrepresented groups.
- Open at the Margins: Critical Perspectives on Open Education: An open book consisting of articles, blog posts, and presentations on various aspects of social justice and open education.
- Queering Open Pedagogy: A keynote talk on the necessity of recognizing and supporting queerness in open education.
- Designing a Queer-Inclusive Human Sexuality Course Using OER: A presentation on assessing and improving inclusion in course materials.
- OER as a Tool to Decenter Whiteness: A Queer Psychology Case Study: A presentation demonstrating how to design course content to center queer and trans people of color.
- How to Bring Equity and Inclusion to the Classroom: An essay on the potential of OER to address queer erasure in educational materials.
Adam, T., Allen, N., Amiel, T., Asino, T. I., Atenas, J., Bali, M., Barnes, N., Bourg, C., Bouterse, S., Caines, A., Campbell, L. M., Cangialosi, K., Collier, A. M., Cronin, C., Czerniewicz, L., DeRosa, R., Ensor, S., Friedrich, C., Gilliard, C., … Watters, A. (2020). Open at the Margins. Rebus Community. https://press.rebus.community/openatthemargins/
Klement, K. (2020, November 11). Designing a Queer-Inclusive Human Sexuality Course Using OER. Open Education Conference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbyhcBbb5tI
Klement, K. (2021, October 20). OER as a Tool to Decenter Whiteness: A Queer Psychology Case Study. Open Education Conference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e11vGa9zRs
Krueger, S., & Roberts, J. (2020, November 6). Using OER to Build More Inclusive Materials. UNC System OER Collections Webinar Series. https://digitalcommons.dartmouth.edu/dlstaffpubs/30
Lambert, S. R. (2018). Changing our (Dis)Course: A Distinctive Social Justice Aligned Definition of Open Education. Journal of Learning for Development, 5(3), Article 3. https://jl4d.org/index.php/ejl4d/article/view/290
Prescott, S., Muñiz, J., & Ishmael, K. (2018, October 20). How to Bring Equity and Inclusion to the Classroom. New America. http://newamerica.org/weekly/how-bring-equity-and-inclusion-classroom/
Stommel, J. (2017, July 30). Queering Open Pedagogy. Digital Pedagogy Lab Vancouver. Rebus Community. https://press.rebus.community/openatthemargins/chapter/queering-open-pedagogy/