Oral pathologies are abnormal oral structures. Biopsy involves the removal and examination of these abnormal oral structures.
Biopsy requires Aseptic Technique protocols, and are performed with or without IV sedation
- Cysts and Periapical Lesions
- Soft Tissue Lesions
• OMS Tray (remove tooth elevators and forceps)
• Irrigation and Suction Tray
• Specimen container and Labels
• Lab Requisition Form
Barriers (light handle, etc)
• Follow written Pre Op Instructions.
• Ensure that patient name, date of birth and PHN are correct on labels and requisition form: to prevent a delay in the processing of specimens.
• Excessive bleeding during procedure may require the use of cauterization. Ensure that the cautery unit is at hand.
• Effective assisting is required: do not desiccate the site with suction and be CAREFUL NOT TO SUCTION SPECIMEN!
• Follow written Post Op Instructions.